Perseverance 4
Revelations 1:9 – I, John, both your brother and companion in the tribulation and kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ, was on the island that is called Patmos for the word of God and for the testimony of Jesus Christ.
The first thing that I thought about when I read this verse was encouragement. Paul’s on Patmos in isolation because he was sharing his testimony, along with the word of God. Could you imagine if you were sharing the word of God with people, and that’s what got you thrown on an island? Not to mention completely by yourself.  And on top of that, he’s writing a letter to his fellow friends telling them to persevere on! Guys, He is on an island! Even though things are looking bad for him at that moment, he’s still trusting God with complete faith and in patients. I love how he calls them brother. Not only his friend, but a brother. He takes it further and say he’s their companion. A companion to me, is someone who will journey with you to mountain tops. And they are with you when you’re wandering through the lowest valleys.
This really puts Paul’s heart into perspective. He’s not even worried about where God take Him. He’s not worried about why he’s there. He knew that God would take care of Him. All he had to do is to keep persevering and moving forward. Not only that, but he has a good heart about it and even takes the time to write his friends a note of encouragement! I know for me I don’t always have a good heart about my trials. I remember one time, when I really felt spiritual warfare over my family. Certain individuals argued all the time and there was just a lot of tension building up constantly, making mood of the home was so off balanced and suffocating. I remember that season went on for a while and it really just dragged my spirit through the dirt. I kept questioning why God wouldn’t bring restoration into the house. I would pray at nights that he would bring peace into the home again. At that moment, I wasn’t trusting in the Lord, I was only questioning His goodness. But by the grace of God, he restores. I have to always remember to keep on persevering and have patience in His timing through all seasons.
Application

I am going to ask my roommates if they are struggling with anything in this season and pray for each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed

Consistency