Uriah

Discipline 4
2 Samuel 11:11-13 – And Uriah said to David, “The ark and Israel and Judah are dwelling in tents, and the lord Joab and servants of my lord are encamped in the open fields. Shall I then go to my house and eat, drink and to lie with my wife? As you live, and as your soul lives, I will not do this thing.” Then David said to Uriah, “Wait here today also, and tomorrow I will let you depart.” So Uriah remained in Jerusalem that day and the next. Now then David called for Him, he ate and drank before him; and he made him drunk. And at the evening he went to lie on his bed with the servants of his lord, but he did not go down to his house.
When I am reading this, I put myself in Uriah’s position. He gets called home randomly by the king and so now, David is telling him to go home to his wife and rest. If I were Uriah, I would have thought something sketchy was going on. But in the midst of this small sections, you can really tell the heart of Uriah. He is a man of loyalty and integrity. I can only imagine how tempting it would be to go rest and be with your family after being in the war for a long time. But, Uriah stayed faithful to his men and fellow brethren. He could have taken David up on his offer and kept it a secret from his men. But, he chose to do what was right even when he easily could have done it all in quiet. How often do we stay faithful when the temptations are staring at us right in the face? Then, we have David. David was trying to cover up his sin of adultery here. We see that he was in a state of desperation. He knew what this would do to his reputation if it became public knowledge. When we are desperate, we are willing to go to any lengths to do what needs to be done. If we were to take just this passage and determine David’s character, we could say that he represents world. The world is desperately trying to stumble us. It’s trying to manipulate us into partaking in its sin. But we have to be guard like Uriah was. We have to seek the Lord and use discernment when the world comes at us with something that sounds to good to be true.
What can you and I take away from this? Well, first of all, if David would have, (of course not have done what he did), owned up to his fault in the first place none of his would have had to happen. So remember the next time you try to cover up something, God know. He will judge you rightly for it. Second, be a man/women of loyalty and integrity to your fellow brothers and sisters. God is searching for the righteous men of this world. Which one will you be? I know for me, I personally what to be a form of Uriah.
Application

At home, I will have my mom keep me accountable to not stumble on earthly temptation/distractions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed

Consistency