Home Bound

Home Bound
Luke 15:20 – “So he got up and went to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

So if you read the title you might be thinking, what does that have to do with this verse? Well, I’m going to tell you. This is part of the parable of the prodigal son. Jesus is telling the people about a son who left home and ran to the world to find satisfaction and fill selfish desire, but he quickly learned what the world will really do for you. It ruined him. To the point of leaving him with nothingness and brokenness. But it was though that state of brokenness that cause him to return home to his father. I can only imagine him walking home and mentally planning out everything he would say to his father. “Father, I messed up,” no… no… “Dad, I’m so sorry” “Father, I will work for you, if you allow me to come home.” The walk for him probably felt like it was going to last forever. Because, he knew that once he got there, he would have to face his father. Not only that but probably what he thought would be judgment and condemnation. The son knew that that’s what should rightfully happen. But, that’s not what happened. Once the father saw his son, he was filled with compassion. He ran to his son and embraced him. He ran! I was thrilled to have his son back and in his arms. Picture this, the son left the home, but the home never left him. It was right there where he left it.


We leave God, God never leaves us. God is our home. The question I want to ask you is, are you home bound or world bound? Me personally, I want to be at home. Home is where it is safe and I have a father there to watch over me and protect me from this world that wants to destroy me. But, when my flesh gets in the way, which it will because it is weak, I need to always remember to come home. I need to turn away from the things that seek to turn my attention away from God. I don’t need to be distracted here in Costa Rica. My eyes need to see the end goal. To be home bound.  To come back into the arms of my beloved father. I am unworthy and underserving of a God who looks at all my wretchedness with compassion. I thank God for deeming me worthy of rejoicing over.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed

Consistency