A Biblical look at: Bad Company

A Biblical look at: Bad Company

1 Corinthians 15:33 - “Do not be misled, bad company corrupts good character.”

Lately, God has really been challenging me to be ready to give a defiance to what and Who I believe in. So I have been taking certain subjects that are common and start looking them up in the bible. The most recent one I have been looking and studying about is Bad Company. So I started to seek further on what the bible says about bad company and that is when I came across Proverbs 22:24-25, “Make no friendship with a man given to anger, nor go with a wrathful man, lest you learn his ways and entangle yourself in a snare.” Bad company is individuals who are given over to anger, bitterness or is self-destructive. In Proverbs 24:1-2, “Do not envy the wicked, do not desire their company; for their hearts plot violence, and their lips talk about making trouble. Bad company is someone who thrives to cause trouble and make problems for other people.  Proverbs 14:6-7 says, “The mocker seeks wisdom and finds none, but knowledge comes easily to the discerning. Stay away from a fool, for you will not find knowledge on their lips. Here it says that mockers don’t understand because they do not that the Holy Spirit to discern. Making them spiritually foolish because they do lack knowledge. In 1st Corinthians 6:14-17 it talks about how we need to not be unequally yoked. Which says, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: “I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people.” Therefore, “Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you.” All of these things are warning us to stay away from corrupt individuals because they will infiltrate your inner being and corrupt you! If you hang around one person for an extensive time, it’s proven that you will start to ask like that person. And God says that he does not want us to mix that way with the unbelievers because he will start to look like them instead of Christ.

If we want to walk in a godly stature then we need to surround ourselves with like-minded believers. The bibles says, “Therefore, let’s keep on pursuing those things that bring peace and that lead to building up one another. (Romans 14:19) We will build each other up and sharpen each other’s iron! That’s what God has asked of us in order to set ourselves apart. Just to be clear though, I’m not saying we are to cut out the unbelievers indefinitely from our life, because God does ask us to let our light shine out of darkness. Here in 2 Corinthians 4:6  (NIV), “For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ.” But we can’t compromise our faith when we are among them.

When I get home I am going to have to cut some people out all of my life and I know that that is going to be hard to do with the people whom I have known for years. But these people have encouraged me to go against what the word tells me. That honestly pains me to do, and it scares me because I know that if I handle it wrong, it’s going to end up bad. But there comes a point when I know that they really don’t want to change. They want to stay stuck, no matter how hard I try to encourage them to pursue Christ.  And let me tell you, I have prayed to no end about this! I prayed, and prayed, and prayed some more. And that is something I think God has asked me to do if I want to stay obedient to Him. (Now, not everyone is the same. You seriously have to seek God in prayer, and in the His word before you make any rash decision.) But again, this is what I feel god has asked of me. So I am going to be faithful when He asks me to do something. I hope this encourages you to not be afraid to be set apart from the crowd. But to shine through them. Always seek God for council through these tough situations and continually pray and read the word.

Application

For the next week I will learn 2 bible verses pertaining to bad company.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed

Consistency